Thursday, November 15, 2007

Rush to excessive use of force: Robert Dziekanski

It is not often I find myself so upset by a set of events that I have to comment on them. This is one of them. It is clear from the video the RCMP rushed to use excessive force on Robert Dzienkanski -- an apparently slightly agitated (note slightly) and responsive man was tasered by the RCMP for no apparent reason. One officer is caught on tape telling them to hit him again -- the convulsions caused my the first tazer are considered to be resisting arrest.

I am a supporter of Police generally, I have a police officer in the family -- this is just wrong however -- very wrong. This was not a taser incident this was manslaughter.

The RCMP's spokesman says not to rush to judgement -- but admits based on the video people will, and frankly they should. The RCMP spokesman says we need to understand what the officers were thinking -- officers that clearly were not trying to communicate with anyone -- the deceased, the spectators, no-one. They obviously decided that this man needed to be tasered in advance of their arrival -- guess they did not expect him to die.

The RCMP can expect another loss in public confidence over this -- the young officer's(Douglas Scott) death in the north will leave the headlines in the next couple of weeks/days -- this incident and video will live on in infamy for years.

There should not just be a coroner's inquest into this, there should be criminal charges laid.

There I have had my say -- must admit I feel no better about it.

No comments: